A little background

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Writing about myself is surprisingly difficult. I enjoy talking about myself well enough, but this is a little weird. Who is my audience? What tantalizing bit of personal information would some random stranger on the internet find interesting? I'm really good at making lists, so I'll just list some random facts about myself. These will be in no particular order of importance.

  • I'm just past the mid-point of my thirties. Wow, I remember my mother at this age. I've even started dressing like her back then.
  • I'm married. We were married in 2001, the day before 9/11. It was at City Hall in front of our parents and a few friends. No one knew about it. So we had a second wedding six months later for the rest of the family and friends. So which anniversary do we celebrate? We manage to forget both equally.
  • Kids. I have two stepkids. They live with their mom fairly close to us. They stop in from time to time. I have a little rugrat of my very own as well. He's an experiment that I think is wise not to repeat. He was hatched in 2004. I'm a great stepmom, but full-time motherhood is outside of the scope of my skill set. I'm sure I will have stories about him.
  • I work full-time. I'm in commercial real estate. I won't be discussing work here.
  • I have a house. I bought a fixer upper at the top of the market. It is my albatross. I will definitely be discussing my home improvement nightmares and subsequent financial woes here.
  • I'm a hobby whore. I pick up hobbies, invest in the supplies, hoard actually, and abandon them systematically. I have 50 pounds of scrapbooking paper. I haven't scrapbooked since 2004. I just don't have the time. But one day, I will get to catch up. I can sort of sew on a sewing machine. I can put stuff together when I need it.
  • I used to paint. I really want to start again, but the to-do list is so big that I can't seem to get to it. Maybe I'll post some pictures of my favorite projects. I just need some anonymous encouragement. I would like to eventually have a show - if I can get enough pieces finished. I haven't finished one since 2004.
  • I'm a knitter. I've been knitting for a few years. I got back into it in 2009 as part of a New Year's resolution to finish some of my projects that were mothballed. The knitting is what brought me here, and I'm sure I'll be talking about it in greater detail later.
  • I love food. I'm not a good cook. I try though. I wish my hubby and son were more open to my experiments. I get tired of spaghetti and grilled cheese sandwiches.
  • I don't drink. I did in my twenties but the pregnancy broke me of the habit and I don't really miss it. I probably have a cocktail once a month.
  • I miss smoking. I have asthma and I know better. But, every now and then I will still sneak a cigarette. Us bad girls have to have our vices.
  • I miss shopping. I used to be pretty good at it. Lack of money and a figure worth dressing has led to a decline. I'm not fat, but I'm not tone either. No one's fault but my own. The exercise equipment is sitting and waiting patiently for me in the garage.
  • Style-wise, I'm a chameleon. I think I have a dark soul, so I lean toward the goth and alternative, at least in my head. I'll wear what is appropriate for my age, where I live, and what I do for a living, but I secretly wish I didn't. I have learned to conform, but I'm not happy about it.
  • I watch way too much TV. Couch potato extraordinaire.
  • I love to read. I have no time or energy to actually read, so I have found a new love - audiobooks. I listen to at least one book a week. I have a 30 minute commute each way, so I listen while I drive. I also plug in when I'm doing stuff around the house. Multi-tasking.

I think I'll add more as I go along and expand on some of the points above. The reality is this whole blog will be about me in one way or another. Apparently, the vanity of Facebook isn't enough to hold me.

0 comments:

 
My sweater: unraveled - by Templates para novo blogger