Anthropologie Inspired Cable Knit Ascot

Saturday, January 9, 2010


I do not shop at Anthropologie. I've never even been in a store, though I'm within 20 miles of one. I think I might be a little intimidated by how cool and artsy everything looks. Or maybe it's too young looking. I don't know. The price tag automatically stops me from entering. But, I can still shop from afar by visiting the online catalog. On one of my window shopping trips across the internet, I spent some time looking through their knit offerings. Lots of sweater coats - too complex to deconstruct based on an online picture - and several scarves. One scarf in particular jumped out at me. The ascot looked like something I might be able to knit. I saved a picture from the catalog. Good thing too because they have since sold out.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for possible pattern matches, but nothing exact appeared. Through trial and error, I was able to piece together my own pattern. This is the first time I have tried to create a pattern of my own. I'm good at following other people's directions, but this is completely new territory.

I did make one change from the original. I did the whole thing in garter stitch instead of making the bow pinch in a rib pattern. I included instructions for both options. Click on the link below.

Anthropologie Inspired Cable Knit Ascot

Feel free to let me know if something doesn't make sense. Some of the pattern was written after the fact. I hope I didn't forget anything.

I think I will try this one again in a medium gray color when I have some time.

On a side note, the whole reason I created this blog was so that I could add this pattern to Ravelry. Just before finishing my upload, I did another search and found that someone else had the same idea, and had deconstructed their own version of the pattern. My only comfort is that the knitter used a worsted weight yarn and the cable pattern is completely different. So I can still say my pattern is original.

0 comments:

 
My sweater: unraveled - by Templates para novo blogger